May 17, 2009

SPOCKLOVE

I spent last night having a grand moviethensleepover with Kimberly Fry, one of my favorite people in the entire world. -->
We saw Star Trek....

I've never been a Trekkie, I suppose, I probably didn't get any significant references in the movie and even right after we left the theater, I still wouldn't have been able to articulate what a Klingon was if someone had asked (I thought they were bad guys, but the film was all about Romuluns...). I mean, I did happily note "boldly go where no one has gone before," instead of "no man." But OK, I was a cable-free kid. I grew up with PBS, NBC, FOX, and the WB-turned-CW. And when it was 10pm on a weekday and I had finished my homework, hell yeah I would tune in to Patrick Stewart's shiny Next Generation head. I don't remember much of the cast besides him, Levar Burton, and some frizzy-haired chick named Troy, but I remember a few episodes significantly freaked me out up to age eleven, in that deep-tingling, you-kinda-like-it way.

So when Kim sheepishly asked me to go see the movie with her, yes, OK, maybe I wanted to, especially after seeing the main cast members and Nimoy himself on the SNL season finale.

Since I don't have much to knowledgebly comment on, I'll make my response simple. I think it was a marvelous extension of the franchise and, as a sort of outsider to the original cast and plots, I really didn't have any problems with it. And from what I hear, Trekkie friends and youtubers aren't so enraged with the time-travel and alternate universes (universi?).

But above all that, I may or may not have had the girl-equivalent-of-a-hard-on for Spock circa the entire duration of the film, and this slightly worries me. Am I one of them now? Can I have a Vulcan poster in my dorm room next semester and maintain my dignity? Spock, you can live lo[ooo]ng and prosper in my bed every night, baby.

In a purposefully unrelated subject, my fondness for media and culture is mushrooming with my free time and wireless this summer, so congratulations on winning the 2009 World Transgender Pageant, Miss Tiffany Universe, Sorrawee Nattee! These chicks are seriously hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of Course Digital Face Recognition Finds An Asian