Jun 17, 2010

Books


I always actively accept book recommendations. This summer, I have sadly only read one so far. The downside to the internship is very little free time, but I did pick up pretty little dirty and managed to spend a weekend enjoying it. It was quite artful and the characters were so realistically pompous and full of themselves that I spend two days after finishing the book acting pompous and full of myself because I felt so in their heads. Not a good thing, but certainly an impressive trick by Amanda Boyden.

A few excerpts I especially liked-

"You have been let into the club early, hours before others, by the boy who jizzed straight into your sinuses.."

"'Rose Bitch and me are just friends. Isn't that what we're tellin' the rich girls, honey?' He spoke into her magenta scalp and squeezed his arm again. I watched his bicep pop up like a bun."

"Celeste often sat at the Formica kitchen table with the scale, measuring and weighing and packaging. She had a knack for folding what became her signature glossy-magazine envelopes that she cut carefully from high-end publications, making sure some artistic scene appeared properly centered on the smooth side. Pretending occasionally to move single grain after single grain from one pile to another, she would call out to Rumpelstiltskin to come put an end to her toiling."

How Overkill! I mean, if Overkill ever dealt cocaine.

Right now, I am happily devouring the late Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as well as Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog, per Katie Locke's recommendation. Both are wonderful so far; Stieg is unexpectedly sexy and Barbery teaches me ten brilliant new words every chapter.

I can't believe Girl is already a Swedish film and is going to be a Hollywood film. I'm really excited to see both and hope they do justice, unlike The DaVinci Code. Not that I loved The DaVinci Code, but you know. All of this is quite embarrassing because I'm following Rule #127 of Stuff White People Like to a fucking T.

I really ought to read more biographies, like this one that I wanted so much that I took a picture to remind myself to buy it when I finally have an income:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of Course Digital Face Recognition Finds An Asian