Jun 11, 2009

This Isn't A Food Blog, But...

I visited two amazing restaurants in the last week and just have to share. Like art, restaurants are another thing I would tally on my hypothetical death bed (refer to previous post). I'm fascinated with Starbucks as a corporation, but am an independent-cafe-o-phile at heart.

On Monday, I went to Peaches Cafe in Stuyvesant Plaza, formerly known as Peaches 'n' Creme in the nineties, so says my mom. I guess it's an ice cream parlor/bakery-turned-bistro (probably when Cold Stone came in, those bastards, oh wait, I worked for them for four years).

Anyway, I was delighted to have some of the best French Onion Soup in my life, with a tasty portobello and swiss on focaccia and side of fresh pasta salad with pesto. Ughhh so good.

Last night, I went to Provence and it was a dinner of many firsts for me...

1. First time drinking wine out with the
parents. I expected that would be after my 21st birthday, because my parents are rrrrulll straight-edge, but they probably forgot how old I was. My Uncle Bill, for whatever reason, bought two bottles of Chateau Corton Grancy wine, which is, idk, $100 a bottle.

!?

We're not rich people. I was psyched.

2. First time trying escargot! My only knowledge of this luxurious and mysterious food item is that it's snails and that it tastes like a balloon, according to Mary-Kate Olsen, in a childhood movie favorite, It Takes Two.







It's a SLUG. And I ATE it. It was chewy, and soft
and didn't taste like chicken. It tasted like slug.
At first, I thought they would be breaded in their little pods (strangely similar to the pods in Dollhouse) but the bread was actually like a little hat on top of the totally exposed slugosity. Like I really can't stop talking about the experience because it was truly bizarre and while I wouldn't call escargot delicious, it's certainly something I plan to try everywhere because I bet they do lots of different things with it. I didn't expect the little bread hats, but damn were they cute. It had a pesto sauce and olive oil too.

^ That's my dessert there.
Decadent layers of white and dark chocolate mousse.

Really, this is just me being a whore for food and photography.

3 comments:

  1. When I first tried escargot, it was still in the shell and I had to use a little tool to get it out. They cooked it with butter and garlic and it was delicious, with a mushroom texture.

    I'd recommend trying it in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm.

    France it is. My travel plans often consist of restaurants to try instead of, you know, important sites and museums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making me so hungry! I love Peaches. My sister and I bought my dad a gift certificate, and our whole family went out for cake.

    I forgot. There was a time when the Olsen twins were actual children instead of women trying to starve themselves back into childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Of Course Digital Face Recognition Finds An Asian