Aug 17, 2010

My Second Poem from the Black Forest Writing Seminars

Girl Scout


She only came in December

which worked well for me

so I could spread her

on my winter toast


sprinkle her freckles on top

or drizzle her in my teacup

when my throat

caught an itch.


My little Thin Mint.

I was her best customer,

I bought one of every kind

except Tagalongs


because those were bad for my cholesterol

said my wife, but

she's in the freezer now

so, it doesn't matter.


Fourteen boxes and a flute of milk later,

although she played piccolo in band,

it became passé to market her wafers

or Dulce-de-Leche the grip of my hand.


I was her best customer

until seventh grade when she quit

to grind lamb at the Do-Si-Do dance.

Next winter my knuckles started to twitch.


At a waffle house in upstate New York

while declaring, I’ll have the potato skins

I realized she was the waitress

with the apricot bosom and shortbread hips.


She gave me a bear hug and

made a joke

about how all these years later

she was still taking my order.


katrina tulloch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of Course Digital Face Recognition Finds An Asian